Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Urban Archipelago

The folks at Urban Archipelago point out that its not so much red states vs. blue states as blue urban islands in a sea of rural red. This is a pretty accurate observation and I love their imaginative name for it, "Urban Archipelago". But in the analysis on their front page they come off as a little bit unhinged.
Citizens of the Urban Archipelago reject heartland "values" like xenophobia, sexism, racism, and homophobia, as well as the more intolerant strains of Christianity that have taken root in this country. And we are the real Americans. They--rural, red-state voters, the denizens of the exurbs--are not real Americans. They are rubes, fools, and hate-mongers.
Wow guys, you should really get out more.

This quote makes me chuckle. "We live on islands of sanity, liberalism, and compassion--New York City..." Wow! I think that's the first time I've heard NYC referred to as an island of sanity or compassion. I've only made a couple of trips to NYC but one stands out in my memory as the only time in my life I have seen adults spit at each other. A lot of words and phrases pop up in my mind when I think of New York City: exciting, fast-paced, hectic, hip, cool, impersonal. Sane and compassionate are not on the top of the list.

You should really read the whole thing. It is a fine screed that manages to maintain a high pitched whine throughout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home