Wednesday, February 04, 2009

These are the guys preventing identity theft?

My bank apparently sent me an e-mail advertising identity theft insurance. It contained a link to log in to my account on the web site (which brings up the main login page). I sent them this reply.

Please see the e-mail below which I received from a phishing con artist, trying to harvest my bank account number and password. The e-mail contains a link to a page which appears to allow me to log in to my bank account. Undoubtedly this link leads to a spoofed web site which will take my log in and password information and then use it to steal money from my account.

Thankfully, I have learned over the years to never click on such a link, as legitimate organizations would never send out unsolicited e-mails asking clueless users to log on to their site using a link. It is so easy to spoof a web page and even the link that is displayed in the address bar (not that your average user pays attention to that anyway). I thought it was a particularly nice touch on the part of these crooks that the e-mail supposedly comes from the identity theft department. Surely anyone who works in identity theft prevention would have more sense than to encourage users to click on login links in unsolicited e-mails.

Thank you for taking care of this matter. I hope you catch the guys who sent this e-mail. They should be shot!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home